AardvarkTravel.net Travel Search Engine & Travel Directory

By participating in these forums you can earn free advertising! Click here for details.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gay life in Dubai

Sponsored by:

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> Gay & Lesbian Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rohmanin
Baggage Handler
Baggage Handler

21 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Gay life in Dubai Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
Can anyone help me with some information about gay life in Dubai, UAE? I'm moving there soon and have no idea at all. Is it a gay friendly place? Any good gay clubs/pubs? Cruising places? Anything you may have experienced or heard about will be welcome.

email me at : [deleted]Thanks!
axxiom
Co-Pilot
Co-Pilot

567 ants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a quick search on Google and found the following web link http://www.gaymiddleeast.com/news/article38.htm I think it gives a good insight into Gay Life in Dubai how most of it is underground but there is plenty of it. It also details the CID (Criminal Investigation Department) and how they infiltrate and gay bars and trap men and Islamic Fundamentalists who are also out to get you.

Best to read the article and make your own decisions.

Hope this helps you out Smile
rohmanin
Baggage Handler
Baggage Handler

21 ants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Close, but no cigar Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. But somehow all the 'informative' websites seem to be blocked. Not being too internet savvy, I cant break through the firewalls or whatever they're called. Hey, all I ever used the www for is email - until now. Any other suggestions?
axxiom
Co-Pilot
Co-Pilot

567 ants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have internet sensorship in UAE, wow I thought that only happened in CHINA. To fill you in Ill copy the article here for you. Altenatively you could pick up a copy of the Spartacus guide. If that too is not allowed in UAE you could probably order a copy through Amazon.com. The article discusses the internet censhorship in your country. If you can read/speak French you might be in luck - article explains all.

Quote:
An interview with a gay from Dubai

GME News

TELL US ABOUT GAY LIFE IN DUBAI / IS THERE GAY LIFE IN DUBAI

If you know the "right" people and the right places in Dubai, there is plenty of gay life. Some of the gay spots in Dubai you can even read about in the Spartacus Directory. However, you can't compare the gay life here in Dubai with that of Western Europe. Here, it's almost all "underground" and there are risks involved.

WHAT RISKS?

The C.I.D. (Criminal Investigation Division) are everywhere. There are special units of the C.I.D. that go to pubs frequented often by gays just to entrap us. There are also other risks. I heard about a guy that made a date through the internet, and when they met, it turned out that the other guy is an Islamic Fundamentalist. The Fundamentalist told him that he is doing terrible things, that God will punish him, and just to be sure, he'll be sure that the C.I.D. gets word of who he is also.

IS THE C.I.D. GOING OUT TO PURPOSELY ENTRAP GAYS?

Yes - for sure. Last May there was a raid by the C.I.D. at the Gules Bar, a place known to be popular with the gays. As the raid was taking place, there was a band performing from the Philippines, who's lead singer was known to be gay. Many people were arrested, including the members of the band. There was nothing written in the local press about what happened that night, or what happened to the band, but rumors have it that they were all sent back to the Philippines.

WHY THESE ENTRAPMENT EXERCISES BY THE POLICE NOW?

During the past few months, the gay guys at Gules felt....how can I put this correctly....a bit "too free" with their sexuality for the taste of the C.I.D.. The authorities evidently felt that things were getting just bit to open and wanted to re-establish order.

I IMAGINE THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME THAT SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAS HAPPENED IN DUBAI

No...definitely not, but I'm sure that most of the police raids have not been reported anywhere and I haven't even heard about them. I remember a big party about two years ago that took place in one of the international hotels here in Dubai. There were drag queens there, something considered illegal here in Dubai. Also at this party the C.I.D. police made a raid and arrested participants.

WHAT YOU ARE EXPLAINING TO ME SOUNDS PRETTY SCARY. AREN'T YOU AFRAID?

No. I am involved in a long term relationship with one person, so I don't go to these places. I know most of this information from friends that do go to parties, pubs, and other places where gays meet. I only get together in safe circumstances with people that I know, and they introduce us to people that they know. This way we are all sure that none of the people we are getting together with are police undercover agents. In general, I must say that I think even as a gay man that the life in Dubai is pretty good. Maybe I feel this way because I just don't allow myself to spend too much time thinking about the limitations and risks.

DO YOU THINK THERE WILL BE A CHANGE FOR THE BETTER IN DUBAI REGARDING THE STATE'S ATTITUDE TOWARDS GAYS

No. I don't see how this can happen. Dubai won't be able to be the only state in the Gulf that will repeal it's laws against homosexuality. Maybe if Dubai's neighbors would do this first.....but I don't see this ever happening. It's important for me to let you know that if many respects, Dubai is considered quite open and liberal - especially in comparison to our neighbors. In Dubai, for example, foreigners are permitted to purchase alcoholic beverages for their own private consumption. In other places on the Gulf, only special bars and international hotels have the permit to serve alcohol.

WHAT ABOUT DUBAI'S INTERNET CENSORSHIP

The censor is pretty tough. Almost all of the website concerning gays are blocked. Gaydar is totally blocked except for their French language version (a strange phenomena that I haven't figured out yet). Every website that has the word "gay" or "sex" is blocked.

DESPITE EVERYTHING, I GET THE IMPRESSION THAT YOU ENJOY GOING OUT AND ENJOYING YOURSELF.....WHERE DO YOU GO?

I usually go to parties at hotels. At 3am everything closes. At that point, someone at the party usually invites the people he knows to an "afterparty" at his home. Most of the time the host of such an afterparty is a foreigner, so he'll legally have alcohol. The chances of getting raided by the C.I.D. police squad at such a party are minimal, as the person who invites us to his home only would invite people that he knows personally.

WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE PARTY AT THE HOTEL AND THE AFTERPARTY?

The hotel parties are really nice, with modern music no different than a party in Europe. There is a strict admission "selection" policy to these parties. You must certainly be on the list of people invited in order to enter one of these hotel parties. It's easiest to get in if you bring a girl with you. If, for example five guys will show up together, even if they are all on the list, it will be tough for them to enter the party. The after party depends on the style of the person who makes it, the music he has, the food and alcohol that he serves.

rohmanin
Baggage Handler
Baggage Handler

21 ants

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Thank you... Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the trouble to copy that article out for me. Hmm...french, eh? Maybe I'll just take classes.
roamingk
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

40 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: gay dar dubai Reply with quote

its not an ad... but seriously.... go to gaydar.co.uk and search for lads in Dubai... you will be amazed...there are 100's

K
jbrobbo
Trainee Baggage Handler
Trainee Baggage Handler

2 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Moving there soon Reply with quote

Looks like I might be heading over to Dubai to work for a few years with my bf in tow. Knowing that everything is underground, would it be hard to make friends with guys our age ie 24?
bloke1980
Trainee Baggage Handler
Trainee Baggage Handler

2 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Would like to meet some guys in Dubai Reply with quote

Hi, I'm in Dubai right now and would like to find out the places where gay people are meeting. Don't mind to meet decent guys here.
[deleted]
Red Tape
Captain
Captain

9344 ants

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys...just a reminder again...this is not a site for meeting men either for a drink or a hook up. There are plenty of online sites that are for that express purpose. The UAE may block some of them, but please do not use aardvark for these purposes.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> Gay & Lesbian Travel Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum