AardvarkTravel.net Travel Search Engine & Travel Directory

By participating in these forums you can earn free advertising! Click here for details.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which areas of Canada are French speaking?

Sponsored by:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> North America - Canada Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trev
Senior Pilot
Senior Pilot

2769 ants

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Which areas of Canada are French speaking? Reply with quote

One of the many destinations I want to get to eventually is Canada, but I was wondering which areas are mainly French speaking? Also, are most of the people in these areas bilingual or is it just like walking into a small corner of France?

As you might guess, I didn't do too well at French in school so English speaking areas are probably a better bet for me. Smile

Cheers
Trev
musicdisciple
Trainee Baggage Handler
Trainee Baggage Handler

3 ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:22 am    Post subject: Don't worry Reply with quote

The main French areas are Quebec and northern New Brunswick. There are small French communities scattered around the country, mostly in the east. What cities are you planning to visit? You'll probably only encounter French in Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City. You will always be able to find English speakers in cities.
sunrise
Baggage Handler
Baggage Handler

1 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quebec is probably the only place you will have any difficulties. Seven years ago we had language difficulties getting a meal and motel room on the Trans Canada Highway. And the signs are all in French too, its the law there. Enough French to ask for the basics and to be polite would be useful.

New Brunswick is officially bilingual. We never had any difficulties there. Very Happy

Derek Andrews

Fine gifts from the woodturning studio ~ Turning instruction.
www.sunrisewoodcrafts.ns.ca
BigBearAdventures
Trainee Baggage Handler
Trainee Baggage Handler

1 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha Trev

Non parlez francais eh!!!!! Well no worries you can go anywhere in Canada and practise some of your French if you want too. It could be fun to see how people would react. Speaking French for me is also a very difficult task. It is my worst language of all the languages I speak. Remember I discovered while travelling around the globe for 4 years on a bike that all you need is about 50 words. It is amazing, you can even tell jokes with such a limited vocabulary.
Main thing to remember is to have fun while travelling and it suppose to broaden your mind. So come on up to the big White North and meet Canadians in any language.

L.B.
Brenda
Trainee Baggage Handler
Trainee Baggage Handler

1 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:49 pm    Post subject: French Speaking Areas Reply with quote

Very Happy Hello from New Brunswick, Canada

Quebec is an officially French speaking province where signage in French is a requirement under the provincial laws, however if you travel to Quebec City, the Old Quebec, you will find no problems being served in English as Tourism is a key sector in this section of the city.

New Brunswick is designated as bilingual which means we are a mix. The North Shore has a higher percentage of French Speaking population, but generally you will find that most perons can speak both languages in most of the areas.

Brenda
http://www.shipslantern.com
Hillsborough, N.B. CANADA
AC
Baggage Handler
Baggage Handler

5 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Montreal Reply with quote

I think you will have a great experience in Montreal. In addition to being an amazing city, Montreal has a great mixture of bilingual (and multilingual) people, so you should not run into too many language barriers.
fden
Trainee Baggage Handler
Trainee Baggage Handler

4 ants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: More French. Reply with quote

St Boniface, a part of Winnipeg, Manitoba is also heavy French, but you will have no trouble. I lived in St Boniface for a while and go back often, and I speak no French. Most people, does not matter where you go in your travels, are very nice. But like everything else there are some who have an attitude and I am afraid those are the ones that you seem to remember. Have a good trip and enjoy. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> North America - Canada Travel Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum