AardvarkTravel.net Travel Search Engine & Travel Directory

By participating in these forums you can earn free advertising! Click here for details.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chongqing China, do you know?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sponsored by:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> Asia Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bellan
Baggage Handler
Baggage Handler

20 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Chongqing China, do you know? Reply with quote

As far as I know, many foreigners have never heard of Chongqing, but actually, it is very charming in several aspects. Chongqing is famous for dilicious food, beautiful scenery and pretty women. After this, do you wanna know more? I'd like to introduce more about this charming city. If you are interested, send me message, or we can talk about the city. Thanx!
laz
Senior Pilot
Senior Pilot

2054 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there once very briefly. Like many people I guess I only visited the city to start a crise on the Yangtze.

I have to be honest, I remember it as a very industrial city, quite polluted and rather grey! The main highlight for me was finding a huge Carrefour supermarket Laughing Embarassed - this sounds quite a strange highlight, but it was unlike any other supermarket I have ever been in, selling live fish and live terrapins from tanks (for cooking, not as pets) and huge emu eggs!!
foreststone
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

24 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laz wrote:
I was there once very briefly. Like many people I guess I only visited the city to start a crise on the Yangtze.

I have to be honest, I remember it as a very industrial city, quite polluted and rather grey! The main highlight for me was finding a huge Carrefour supermarket Laughing Embarassed - this sounds quite a strange highlight, but it was unlike any other supermarket I have ever been in, selling live fish and live terrapins from tanks (for cooking, not as pets) and huge emu eggs!!

I agree with you , it is industrial area with quite pollution.
Teetie
Baggage Handler
Baggage Handler

7 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Chongqing, Chian Reply with quote

Hi,
Chongqing is a port city with the largest municipal area and population in China. Chongqing is a modern city, China's fourth municipality after Beijing, Shanghai, and Tianjin. There are many attaction: Yangtze River Cruise, Dazu Rock Carvings, CiQi Kou. Chongqing is 1,025 km (640 miles) northwest of Hong Kong, and 1,800 km (1,120 miles) southwest of Beijing.
bellan
Baggage Handler
Baggage Handler

20 ants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: The change of Chongqing city would surprise you guys. Reply with quote

No doubts, Chongqing is an industrial city, but it doesn't mean it is a heavy polluted city. And I have to admit that it was not a nice, attractive place 10 years ago, but now I also must say it is changing after becoming the municipality controlled directly under the central government. Its transform is astonishing, an ancient city with historic civilization, as well as a modern city with carrying on development in every aspect.

We can see that more and more international friends travel, work, and even live here, not just because of the cruise on the Yangtze. Of course, some features remained from ancienty times are still there, but it is the characteristics of Chongqing, uniquely. Look, the charming city tour, Dazu rock carvings, Bamboo Sea Forest, Hot Spring Spots, Fairy Mountain, Wanshen Stone Forest, and many other sightseeing spots attract many people all around the world.

The city is changing, impression is new!

Chongqing says: Welcome, my friend!
laz
Senior Pilot
Senior Pilot

2054 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi bellan - I did not mean to cause offence. It was 6 years ago that I visited Chongqing, so a lot has probably changed since then - the completion of the big dam up-river for one thing!

As with many big cities, you probably have to spend some time to "get to know" the place before you find its charm. This is certainly the case with Newcastle, where I live here in the UK, which I would recommend to anyone to visit, but it has a very industrial history and you have to know where to go to find the best bits.

Unfortunately, my initial impression was a very industrialised (and modern) city, which for me was simply a start-point for our cruise. The cruise itself was absolutely wonderful - one of the best things we did in China.

How has the dam changed tourism in the region? Is it still possible to cruise, and has the flooding had a big effect down-stream from Chongqing (on scenery, wildlife, people)?
bellan
Baggage Handler
Baggage Handler

20 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe~~~ I think your impression on Chongqing is out-of-date coz it is so long ago. If you get a chance, I suggest you visit the city once more. Probably I can show you around here.
Yangtze cruise is still one of the most attractive scenic spots in Chongqing China. The Dam has been rebuilt. More and more international friends enjoy the cruise trip.
jadeleo
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

50 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chongqiang is the biggest city in China with spicy food.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nitesoutsg
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

33 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seen from a docmentary program that shop selling chong qing steam boat will reuse the steam boat soup

the shopkeeer say that reusing the soup will allow the soup favour to come more as
it is being cook and refine evey time

but i think is it darn gross, imagine drinking a soup that had been taste many before

i hope it is just a one off thing :p
hubbabubba
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

25 ants

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: It's niiiice Reply with quote

I agree Chongqing is a great place - and it's a good place for going out as well, don't miss a night out at the Cotton Club!
enjoychinatour
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

30 ants

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chongqing is a foggy city, but just fog, not smog! It's a mountain city with two rivers, the wind power is not strong, the weather changes a lot between the day and night, the mountains hold everything inside-such as the steam from the rivers.
Pollution? It was. But now I'm breathing in the fresh air Laughing
enjoychinatour
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

30 ants

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitesoutsg wrote:
I seen from a docmentary program that shop selling chong qing steam boat will reuse the steam boat soup

the shopkeeer say that reusing the soup will allow the soup favour to come more as
it is being cook and refine evey time

but i think is it darn gross, imagine drinking a soup that had been taste many before

i hope it is just a one off thing :p

I think what you're talking about is the famous Chongqing Hotpot Laughing
Yes, the shops reuse the soup all the time, everybody knows that. But it's the way how they cook the hotpot since its advent. It's not a ineffable secret. It's like we local people drink the boiled water but the foreign tourists prefer the bottled water Cool
By the way, there're many Hotpot resturants only use one-off soup now, maybe you want to have a try!
Don't miss the most famous spicy food in China!
hubbabubba
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

25 ants

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjoychinatour wrote:
Chongqing is a foggy city, but just fog, not smog! It's a mountain city with two rivers, the wind power is not strong, the weather changes a lot between the day and night, the mountains hold everything inside-such as the steam from the rivers.

Sorry but this is rubbish Smile - Chongqing is nice, and it an extremely interesting place that I would recommend as part of any China tour - but it's also easily the most polluted city I have ever been in.
You can literally feel the smog in your throat when you arrive.
enjoychinatour
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

30 ants

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hubbabubba wrote:
enjoychinatour wrote:

Sorry but this is rubbish Smile - Chongqing is nice, and it an extremely interesting place that I would recommend as part of any China tour - but it's also easily the most polluted city I have ever been in.
You can literally feel the smog in your throat when you arrive.

My view might be superfacialness but it's not rubbish. The special geographical environment has much to do with the environment quality of Chongqing. Mountain city, low thick clouds, short insolation duration.
I won't deny the pollution here, but it's getting much better now. All the taxis and city buses now use natural gas and a lot of quarries are closed. I'm living in the southern bank district, close to METRO, I do breath in the fresh air now!
By the way, thanks for your comment.
hubbabubba
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

25 ants

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: ok then Reply with quote

Ok - well it's been a little while since I been there so I stand corrected.

Either way it's a great place to visit, and whatever the level of smog this should not stop anyone from going there - it's not as if it's a health risk or anything, especially not if you are just travelling through.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> Asia Travel Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum