AardvarkTravel.net Travel Search Engine & Travel Directory

By participating in these forums you can earn free advertising! Click here for details.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Luton airport?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Sponsored by:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> Europe - Western Europe Travel Forum - UK & Ireland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
becka_kate
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

69 ants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Luton airport? Reply with quote

I've been told to avoid flying in/out of Stansted airport as it's expensive to get to on public transport. What about Luton?
Falcons92
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

44 ants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, my family and I flew in to Stansted last year in September. We took the Stansted Express to Tottenham Hale and then caught the tube from there. If you go to www.stanstedexpress.com you can get a price quote. It looks like it's 21 return from Stansted to Tottenham Hale right now. The train station connects to the airport so it's very convenient.

However, we had so much fun in England last year that we're going back this July so we can visit when it's really crowded. Rolling Eyes But, we are flying into Luton. From some very early research you can take a bus, train, or taxi to London from there. The bus is about 14 return and drops you off at Buckingham Palace Road. Taxis are about 80 with a 10% tip the norm. I can't really figure out how to get the exact price for the rail ticket but it looks to be about 22 return. Any other info on Luton would be appreciated.
BarryEastender
Chief Steward
Chief Steward

226 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Luton airport Reply with quote

Luton airport is pretty much the same story in that you have to catch a bus to the centre of London. Stansted and Luton are very much the same story hence why the budget airlines are based in Luton and Stansted and not Heathrow.
conexo-global-travel
Flight Steward
Flight Steward

100 ants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a rail service from Luton Airport to Kings Cross. Never used it but I believe you catch a shuttle bus between the airport and the railway station which is known as Luton Airport Parkway - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luton_Airport_Parkway_railway_station
keano
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

31 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Luton Airport Reply with quote

When you get out of Luton Airport, you have a bus station outside ,from here you can get Coaches to London and beyond.
If you want to travel by Train ,take the free shuttle from outside the airport ,this will take you to Luton Parkway where you can get trains to London or other parts of ther UK.
On the whole Luton is far quicker to get to London than Stanstead.
Travel Auntie
Trainee Baggage Handler
Trainee Baggage Handler

6 ants

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Hi, a question about timing from Heathrow to Luton Reply with quote

can anyone tell me how much time I need to allow for travel between LHR and Luton? my plane lands in LHR at 07:20 on a Saturday morning. will I be in time for the 13:00 flight to Paris from Luton. I have found out that the cheapest way is by tube to London and Easybus to Luton - takes about 3 hours, apparently. would 5hours be enough? please help...
globetrotter20092009
Baggage Handler
Baggage Handler

16 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having had to travel from Luton to London and from Stansted to London, I'd say they're about the same if you travel by train: roughly the same time and same price

not sure about buses, but check out megabus and national express, it'll be cheaper than the train

If you get to choose between Luton and Stansted, go for Stansted: the airoprt is a lot nicer (as far as airports go that is) and you can catch the train straight from the airport, no need to catch a shuttle bus first...
PaulApple
Flight Steward
Flight Steward

64 ants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Luton and Stansed Reply with quote

If using Luton and Stansted it really really all depends.

If you are driving to the airport then it does not matter matter so much and you can get some great budget flights prices for these airports.

If you are using public ranspot then you are better off if you can with Gatwick and Heathrow although there is not so much difference. All have coach routes from Victoria to them so its almostall the same.
spj34
Baggage Handler
Baggage Handler

6 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, it really depends where you are looking to get to once you have arrived in Stansted/Luton. For London I would say they are about the same, but to get to Oxford, for example, you have to change in London first if you're coming from Stansted, but there is a coach direct from Luton.

I would also recommend National Express over EasyBus the latter is cheaper, but the timetable is somewhat..flexible one could say and often the drivers will wait for up to half an hour past the advertised time of departure to pick up more passengers.
CapMan
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

42 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Luton airport Reply with quote

There really is very little difference between flying out of Luton and Stansted. Both have similar priced bus links to Victoria bus station and not so much difference in time to be quite honest.
peacock
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

50 ants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi, a question about timing from Heathrow to Luton Reply with quote

Travel Auntie wrote:
can anyone tell me how much time I need to allow for travel between LHR and Luton? my plane lands in LHR at 07:20 on a Saturday morning. will I be in time for the 13:00 flight to Paris from Luton. I have found out that the cheapest way is by tube to London and Easybus to Luton - takes about 3 hours, apparently. would 5hours be enough? please help...

I seem to recall taking a national express from LHR to Luton, this was about two years ago.
If it is still going that would be much more reliable than tube+easybus.

Win free holidays
benno228
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

30 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's also worth considering where you're actually flying to and with which airline. In terms of low cost airlines, Ryanair pretty much dominates Stansted and easyJet pretty much dominates Luton, so the airline itself is a pretty major factor. I've never actually flown from Luton, but I've never had a problem with Stansted - okay, it's not cheap to get to, but none of the London airports are cheap to get to really!
chibby123
Co-Pilot
Co-Pilot

495 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with a friend to Luton AP and its fairly accessible and less busy then stanstead!
randy2008
Flight Steward
Flight Steward

77 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stansted actually has more travel options than Luton but it all depends on where you are coming from...

I much prefer Luton inside, its far less crowded for one thing.
Wrighty
Baggage Handler
Baggage Handler

12 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least at Stansted you can jump straight on a train to central London. Getting from Luton to London always seems such a load of hassle to me.

Gran Canaria Holidays
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> Europe - Western Europe Travel Forum - UK & Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum