AardvarkTravel.net Travel Search Engine & Travel Directory

By participating in these forums you can earn free advertising! Click here for details.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iceland in November?

Sponsored by:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> Polar Regions Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alyson
Trainee Baggage Handler
Trainee Baggage Handler

1 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:51 pm    Post subject: Iceland in November? Reply with quote

I'm considering going to Reykjavik to celebrate my birthday this year as its somewhere I've always wanted to go.

However my birthday is at the end of November!

I realise that its obviously going to be cold at that time with limited daylight so I just want some advice on whether I'll be missing out on much going at that time of year - I've been saving up for this so it will be a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. (i looked into the prices for going at Summer and that was beyond my pricerange!)

I notice from the various holiday websites that a number of the major excursions run all year (ie Blue Lagoon, Golden Circle etc) - so I assume its still fairly accessible in Winter? alternatively any recommendations for excursions that take advantage of going in winter?

Finally any recommendations on getting the best package price for a short break - I've looked at Iceland Air's website and Arctic Experience, anyone been with either of these or any other suggestions? Hope someone can be of help!

Many thanks, Alyson
cocheez3
Trainee Baggage Handler
Trainee Baggage Handler

1 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Iceland in November Reply with quote

Hi Alyson,

I visited Iceland last November and loved it so much I'm going back in four weeks. Sunrise is around 10am and sunset is around 4pm, maybe 4:30pm. They still have tons of stuff you can do, most of the hotels carry brochures of activities and stuff. Blue Lagoon can be done anytime of the day, but Golden Circle is pretty much a daylight adventure so you can see the big glacier and hot springs. Last year and this year we have booked with Icelandair's web site, they really do have a bunch of stuff on there to check out. It got pretty windy away from the capital city, but temperature wise it didn't get much below 30-35 F (around 0 Celsius) which is pretty mild for winter. We'll be there at the end of the month too, so if you're around we'll celebrate your bday with you!

-Bob
cocheez3@aol.com

I'm considering going to Reykjavik to celebrate my birthday this year as its somewhere I've always wanted to go.

However my birthday is at the end of November!

I realise that its obviously going to be cold at that time with limited daylight so I just want some advice on whether I'll be missing out on much going at that time of year - I've been saving up for this so it will be a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. (i looked into the prices for going at Summer and that was beyond my pricerange!)

I notice from the various holiday websites that a number of the major excursions run all year (ie Blue Lagoon, Golden Circle etc) - so I assume its still fairly accessible in Winter? alternatively any recommendations for excursions that take advantage of going in winter?

Finally any recommendations on getting the best package price for a short break - I've looked at Iceland Air's website and Arctic Experience, anyone been with either of these or any other suggestions? Hope someone can be of help!

Many thanks, Alyson
sunman
Baggage Handler
Baggage Handler

5 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Iceland Reply with quote

For anyone else who may be interested in flying to Reykjavik,
I would recommend checking Icelandair's website. You may also
want to call them. A few years ago
I wanted to go to Greenland for my
birthday, but the online airfare
quotes for Minneapolis to Reykjavik
seemed to fluctuate wildly from day
to day: $444-$1200-$444. Don't
know what I was doing wrong to get
the $1200 rate to appear, but when
I was ready to book the $444 rate
appeared again. If you don't like
what you see, call for help. The
airlines don't like to advertise it, but you can sometimes get low
foreign fares during Thanksgiving
week because everybody else wants
to travel domestically. Don't be
shy about asking!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> Polar Regions Travel Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum