AardvarkTravel.net Travel Search Engine & Travel Directory

By participating in these forums you can earn free advertising! Click here for details.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

As name appears in passport

Sponsored by:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miles Angler
Baggage Handler
Baggage Handler

10 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: As name appears in passport Reply with quote

I've looked & Searched for this answer in Aardvark for 15 minutes, so pardon me if I'm duplicating with this question:

We've all been instructed during foreign travel to enter our name on immigration and customs forms "as it appears in passport."

I've run into delays with officials from various countries both when I take this literally (entering Last First Middle names in this order, as they are typed in my US passport) and when I 'm not so literal (entering First Middle Last names in this order, as in my passport signature).

What usually happens is they question me for an additional 10 minutes and then have me re-do the form to their liking. Not terrible, except when you're already running late for a connection or something.

Does any super-frequent traveler have a sense of which way goes more smoothly, most of the time? Are any continent variations (e.g., Latin America vs. Asia) apparent?

Thank you
deaddoll
Co-Pilot
Co-Pilot

447 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Miles,although they state "as appears in passport " most countries have there own order the names appear on there form ..so really read whether given name or Family name etc are first or last on the form..
what they really mean is if name sebastion on passport ...dont write Seb down on entry form..
they all have different order but all want names written as in passport . not the same order
hope i made sense as im a bit tired as just got off a flight ...
hope this helps
wheretonext
Co-Pilot
Co-Pilot

466 ants

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree and dont whatever you do, get the lines wrong on us arrival form. this is a silly form with the instructions the wrong way round. apparantly the airline got fined for nto checking i had done it correctly. what a w..... that immigratiom person was. must have got out on the wrong side of the bed that morning.

travel is the essence of growing as a person.
anneh
Flight Steward
Flight Steward

57 ants

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always written it First Middle Last and I've never had any problems doing it that way. That said, although my names are all sound like fairly common ones, they are (or were, before I got married) spelled slightly unusually, so that's probably all they're looking at with mine.

It sounds to me like you've just gotten unlucky with an extra-picky person scrutinising your form.

Just be careful you don't abbreviate your name, or miss any hyphens out or whatever, and you should (in my experience) be OK more often than not.
Conti
Flight Steward
Flight Steward

65 ants

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneh wrote:
I've always written it First Middle Last and I've never had any problems doing it that way. That said, although my names are all sound like fairly common ones, they are (or were, before I got married) spelled slightly unusually, so that's probably all they're looking at with mine.

It sounds to me like you've just gotten unlucky with an extra-picky person scrutinising your form.

Just be careful you don't abbreviate your name, or miss any hyphens out or whatever, and you should (in my experience) be OK more often than not.

I agree with this advice.
wheretonext
Co-Pilot
Co-Pilot

466 ants

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afraid i had the immigration person from Hell.

He had been assigned to US citizens arriving, and the line had finished so he got to see overseas arrivals. I think that made him mad.

the US form visa waiver, has

--------------------------------------------------
Surname First Middle

-------------------------------------------------

i of course put my name on the second line, not hte first one, so all my answers were one line wrong.

i realised this after i got off the plane so could not get a new form, so i put in my country of citizenship, which was the only thing i had not put in, and then to emphasise my answers i drew a nice arrow to each correct spot.

it was neat and tidy, he got every line and whited out the wrong answer then put in the correct one in the correct place, said he wasnt a clerk and so he was going to fine the ariline for not checking that i had filled it in correctly. I should have reported him, he was so grouchy but i was just glad to get out of there and be allowed in. haha.

that form is so hard for me. i tried really hard to do it properly, because the last time i had done it wrong also and had to get a new one. maybe it is just the way my brain works, but to me it is misleading and not logical.

anyway, i will get someone to test it the next time. whenever that is. i wont have money to travel os for quite some time. My aim is to go every two years, and so that would make it 2009. i am hoping but maybe it wont work, anyhow, i will probably go somewhere other than the states, next time, unless it is combined with another trip. need to see somemore of the world.

Señor Nick
Chief Steward
Chief Steward

209 ants

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it can be even more confusing for those of us carrying dual passports when you have to double check "as it appears on passport".

and often you don't know which country box to tick becuase you are uncertain which passport you are going to show on enrty. Some passports get you more days in particular countries - usually 30, 60 or 90 day tourist cards. And you always want to use the passport which gets you the maximum number of days.
chibby123
Co-Pilot
Co-Pilot

495 ants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it reads first middle last write it as first middle last? !
angerey
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

42 ants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheretonext wrote:

i of course put my name on the second line, not hte first one, so all my answers were one line wrong.
[..]
that form is so hard for me. i tried really hard to do it properly, because the last time i had done it wrong also and had to get a new one. maybe it is just the way my brain works, but to me it is misleading and not logical.

maybe it would help to start filling in the form from the bottom up?
wheretonext
Co-Pilot
Co-Pilot

466 ants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Angerery

I think that is a good idea. since I wrote that more than a year ago, I have booked two os trips this year, and one of them is to US. I am taking my grandson to Disneyland. So I will start with the bottom line in that instance. In any case may not have to fill in that particular form as now required to get holiday visa before leaving Australia.

But will take special care with entry to Singapore and to Indonesia. Very Happy

Sparky
Co-Pilot
Co-Pilot

408 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheretonext wrote:
afraid i had the immigration person from Hell.

He had been assigned to US citizens arriving, and the line had finished so he got to see overseas arrivals. I think that made him mad. ...

...i of course put my name on the second line, not hte first one, so all my answers were one line wrong.

i realised this after i got off the plane so could not get a new form, so i put in my country of citizenship, which was the only thing i had not put in, and then to emphasise my answers i drew a nice arrow to each correct spot.

it was neat and tidy, he got every line and whited out the wrong answer then put in the correct one in the correct place, said he wasnt a clerk and so he was going to fine the ariline for not checking that i had filled it in correctly. I should have reported him, he was so grouchy but i was just glad to get out of there and be allowed in. haha.

Ah, "small man with a little bit of power" syndrome! One of my favourite things in the world! Rolling Eyes
Customs official seems to attract this type: petty, somewhat insecure, and usually none-to-bright; The sort of person that gets a buzz out of the fact that they can ruin others' days! If they can't get a job in customs they usually seem to end up as traffic wardens, civil servants or nightclub bouncers.
Not that I'm advocating wiping them all out (not quite), I just wish they'd find a job where they don't have to interact with the public! Evil or Very Mad
Words
Baggage Handler
Baggage Handler

6 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always though 'as appears on passport' meant the logical order of first, middle, last. Never really had any issues with that so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum