AardvarkTravel.net Travel Search Engine & Travel Directory

By participating in these forums you can earn free advertising! Click here for details.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The safest and most dangerous countries in South America
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sponsored by:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> South America Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnBoy1984
Trainee Pilot
Trainee Pilot

335 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: The safest and most dangerous countries in South America Reply with quote

Here is a list of the safest and most dangerous countries in South America which i have heard of.

most dangerous

1. Colombia
2. Brazil
3. Venezula
4. Peru
5. Bolivia

safest

1. Argentina
2. Chile
3. Paraguay
4. Uruguay

Can anyone whos been to either of these countries tell me what it was like, i would someday like to travel throughout South America, i want to visit Brazil Peru and Bolivia, but i also want to make sure that when i go to those countries that i am safe, so any information on how to stay safe in those countries would be great thanks.

Last edited by JohnBoy1984 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Sidesplitter
Senior Pilot
Senior Pilot

1019 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm you seem to have made this off the top of your head I think lol! Guyana isnt safe, I was reading he Rough Guide to South America and it said that Guyana's capital, George town is full of muggings, rapes and murders and advises people not toi hang around the capital after dark!
JohnBoy1984
Trainee Pilot
Trainee Pilot

335 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sidesplitter wrote:
Erm you seem to have made this off the top of your head I think lol! Guyana isnt safe, I was reading he Rough Guide to South America and it said that Guyana's capital, George town is full of muggings, rapes and murders and advises people not toi hang around the capital after dark!

But those sorts of things are rampant throughout every city in South America, but from what ive heard and read Guyana is considered one of the safest countries in South America and is considered alot safer then Brazil and Peru.
Sidesplitter
Senior Pilot
Senior Pilot

1019 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose its a case of looking at the statistics!
Ginirover
Senior Pilot
Senior Pilot

2733 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very correct ! I'm missing Chile - considered the safest country in South America ! I can only confirm I felt perfectly safe all the way - including downtown Santiago !
massivebigtoe
Baggage Handler
Baggage Handler

10 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, is this a made-up list? The foreign and commonwealth office advise you not to go to certain parts of Ecuador….

Does South America get an unjust reputation...? I'm going wondering around there for 4 months in January...and everyone's first reaction has been "Ohhh it's not safe, very dangerous people get kidnapped all the time..." I remember a few British/French tourists being kidnapped in the Colombian Jungle a few years ago…but all the time?

Surely everywhere is dangerous if you're walking around with your Rolex watch, cooling yourself down with a wad of £50 notes wearing your 'I'm a rich tourist, hurt me' T-Shirt.

My point is, isn't really down to common sense? I mean London, Birmingham, Liverpool, New York, Paris....just about any large city in the world has a 'Murder Quarter'…you just don’t go there and follow peoples/government/books advice…

Trying to build your very own drugs empire in Colombia is supposed to be tuff….
JohnBoy1984
Trainee Pilot
Trainee Pilot

335 ants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginirover wrote:
Not very correct ! I'm missing Chile - considered the safest country in South America ! I can only confirm I felt perfectly safe all the way - including downtown Santiago !

Yeah Chilie is quite safe, although Argentina is ranked as being the safest country in South America.
whiteheat
Trainee Baggage Handler
Trainee Baggage Handler

5 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Argentina is safe unless... Reply with quote

you take a stroll down in the boca after dark.

There are plenty of very bad places in BsAs. I wouln't tango in Once past 10pm either.

Then again, I worry about walking to my car at night afterwork 5 minutes from where I was born.

http://www.jumpartist.com

Smart community for travelers - Check us out!
GregW
Pilot
Pilot

805 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been to all the countries in South America, but have been to Bolivia, Chile and Argentina. In all honesty, in general I felt safer anywhere in South America than I did in downtown Detroit or some places in Chicago.

I did run into some problems in Bolivia with a skirmish between police and the army, but generally I understand they blow over pretty quickly, and the biggest problem most people run into in Bolivia is blockades messing up schedules.

Greg
Jochen
Senior Pilot
Senior Pilot

1328 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venezuela no. 5???

Must be US propaganda. They don't like Chavez...

Just stay away from the poorest city areas at night. (Well... in Caracas for example; you'll be fine in Mérida). But that's just common sense; you'd do the same in any other foreign big city, right?
Gfriedm1
Flight Steward
Flight Steward

97 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: From what i have heard Reply with quote

From what i have read and heard Columbia is about the most dangerous place you can go in south America. i know the government is working hard to try and change that, but it is over run with drug lords who have more money and power then most of the politicians.
thowra
Flight Steward
Flight Steward

59 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from experience I would say that Brazil was safe enough, so long as you ar careful, but then that's the same for all Latin American countries. I don't understand how Chile is so far down the list of safest countries. I was always under the impression it was safest, and never encountered any problems or felt threatened there at all. Argentina was safe I agree and as far as I know so is Uruguay. The order of safeness is probably subjective. I have also heard that Columbia is among the most dangerous...

Paraguay????????????????????????????

Depends where you are I guess, who you are with and what you are doing. Asuncion can be very dangerous. (just like any other Latin American capital). A friend of mine had bullet wounds... got shot on the way back from school by some random bloke. Nearly died.... you can buy guns on the street....

I think safety is a relative thing in these countries and depends, to a certain extent, more upon how you act and what you do than much else.
adult-vacations
Flight Steward
Flight Steward

72 ants

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Venezuela, last month I was in Columbia for 10 days and have visited a lot of other neighbouring South and Central American Countries. I can honestly say that at no time did I ever feel unsafe in Columbia. OK there are places inland that I wouldn't visit but the tourist areas and especially the coastal areas are fine. Really friendly people and a lot of English being spoken. Venezuela is the same, I wouldn't walk round some areas of Caracas as 4am in the morning, but hey I come from Leeds and lived for many years in Johannesburg and I wouldn't walk round some areas of those cities at 4am in the morning either. As with all travel, common sense prevails. Respect the people and their culture and you shouldn't have any problems at all.
Merry Christmas everyone.
Jurgen
Trainee Baggage Handler
Trainee Baggage Handler

2 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolivia is a country which I visited for various times. It´s one of the safest places on the globe. Of course there are pickpockets in the larger cities. Just like everywhere else in the world.

Argentina the safest country? Not in the suburbs of Buenos Aires! What I want to say is that you can´t generalize. Suburbs of big cities are never really safe at night. But even then, if watch your belongings and use your common sense, you should be as safe as you arein your hometown.
mikeman
Pilot
Pilot

529 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have travelled through most of the countries in your two lists, on the ground without much of a budget and off the popular tourist routes. As a result, we probably saw some of the worst each of them has to offer. I am not speaking of the cities, they have their problems in any country anywhere.

The only country that really proved to be unsafe for us, was Columbia. We experienced serious problems in several different regions of that country.

The country that "felt" the most safe was Equador.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> South America Travel Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum