AardvarkTravel.net Travel Search Engine & Travel Directory

By participating in these forums you can earn free advertising! Click here for details.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expenses paid UK travel - companion needed

Sponsored by:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> Travel Companions Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tim rogowsk1
Trainee Baggage Handler
Trainee Baggage Handler

8 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Expenses paid UK travel - companion needed Reply with quote

I am trying to find a way to get a companion traveller for an elderly friend. Has anyone got any advice or experiences they can relate. UK based, and probably UK travel.

This lady needs a person to help her take a holiday, she will pay, but she is elderly, and requires help. credentials are preferable - and patience is required. We are talking seeing sights in the UK for a week and for free, but there is minor caring involved and a great party attitude.

A holiday is needed, and this has to be achieved in a mutually agreeable way, some care for a holiday in exchange, many e-mails can be exchanged before commitment.

If you want to see York, or Brighton, or Edinburgh [post festival] and have limited finances and sensible credentials then this could be for you.

Please help me with suggestions or offers.

Tim
namibia
Trainee Baggage Handler
Trainee Baggage Handler

2 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: companion Reply with quote

I am interested in being a companion. however i am 55 years old, very active and is currently doing caring work which makes me the perfect candidate. I haven't been to the UK before and would love to take this opportunity to do so.

Best Regards,
Carlina
paige
Trainee Baggage Handler
Trainee Baggage Handler

7 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 14, but I love to travel. I spent 10 days exploring Canada, a month in South Africa where we climbed Mt. Kiliminjaro and I've been to Colorodo and California as well. I spent a little time in London, but not much, but I would love this position. Is it in the summer months? I'm looking for a job that includes traveling, and this sounds absolutely perfect. I'm responsible, remember well and have a lot of patience (3 younger siblings and a 7 1/2 month old niece will do that). I would really like you to consider me. I may be young, but I know I could do this. Very Happy
morg
Trainee Baggage Handler
Trainee Baggage Handler

2 ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woulld appreciate knowing more about your friend's need for direct care. Is she mobile? Is she able to bathe herself? Can she feed herself? Is it safe to leave her alone for short periods..etc. Please describe her personality. What are her likes/dislikes? Does she want to visit any specific places in the UK? Does she want to shop, visit friends/relatives in the UK? Would there be opportunity to meet and spend time together before leaving. I'd want her to feel comfortable with me, before considering such an assignment. I likely will have many questions, but this is a start.
Linda Bruce
Trainee Baggage Handler
Trainee Baggage Handler

5 ants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Elder Travel Companion Reply with quote

Aloha Tim,

My name is Linda Bruce. I'm a 30 year retired educator, 25 of those years in Alaska, the rest here in Hawaii. I now reside on the Big Island.

My next goal, and one I've been working on the past year, is to be an elder travel companion. Earlier this month I obtained my Certified Nursing Assistant license from the state of Hawaii. I felt by having this credential I would be more credible as a companion for our elderly. I've created a beautiful brochure but see no way to attach it here. I'm in the process of creating a web site as that's the next step for me.

I've worked with a student population over the years for which the same basic principles apply when working with elderly which are being a good listener, asking questions and waiting for responses, treating others with respect, and offering patience, kindness, and thoughtfulness. This following is from my brochure: "My desire as an elder travel companion is to provide an opportunity for you to participate in activities at whatever level you choose. I can provide quiet activities or experiences that are more physically demanding. I value your interests. I respect your physical abilities. I invite your ideas of ways we can best spend our time together. We can travel on this island, inter-island, from cruise ship to cruise ship or continent to continent. Elder Travel Companions is all about offering patience, kindness, and thoughtfulness in every adventure." Also on the brochure suggested activities listed are: ROM / Cognitive exercises, Ocean Beach Fun, Tour Guide, Cruise Ship Activities, Read Alouds, Talk Story, Gaming, Walking, Aquaponic Farm Tour, Travel Companion...." Another section is services offered: . driving you in your car to the place of your choosing . accompanying you for a meal . taking you shopping . going to a movie or concert . cruise ship touring . aquaponic garden tour . senior companion / caregiver. The there are lots of pretty photos.

I'm told by the Waikoloa Marriott that no one is doing this here, no one has even approached them but me. Currently I'm crafting this business, as I begin it, to serve elder travelers visiting here looking for alternative trips designed for elders.

I love to travel, anywhere, anytime. My goal with your friend would be to keep her as independent as possible while treating her with dignity and respect. I would be a companion, not a servant though I am very thoughtful and considerate of others.

My fee is all expenses paid plus $200 per day.

Please let me know if you're interested in further discussion.

Aloha,

Linda J Bruce
808-982-4345, home
808-640-0978, cell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> Travel Companions Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum