AardvarkTravel.net Travel Search Engine & Travel Directory

By participating in these forums you can earn free advertising! Click here for details.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! What are the main tourist sites in Birmingham?

Sponsored by:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> Europe - Western Europe Travel Forum - UK & Ireland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Pickering
Flight Steward
Flight Steward

82 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Help! What are the main tourist sites in Birmingham? Reply with quote

Hi All, I wrote an article on my blog about the new 5 star serviced apartments in Birmingham UK and I've got a comment asking what the main sites are to see, and to be honest I haven't got a clue! Confused

The only place I've ever been to in Birmingham was a place call Exposé - and I don't think that's the kind of sites he's referring too! Very Happy

Any suggestions?
paul
Captain
Captain

18990 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Birmingham itself, you have the botanical gardens, National Sea Life Centre, the Bullring (for shopping), etc. ... plus there's all the events going on at places such as the NEC and NIA.

If you were to go outside the centre a little, then you've also got places like Ironbridge, Warwick Castle, Dudley Zoo, Alton Towers & Drayton Manor and, of course, Cadbury World. There's loads to choose from, really, so it kind of depends on the individual's interests.

You'll get a bit of a feel from our Birmingham attractions page at http://www.ukattraction.com/heart-of-england/birmingham.html

Paul
theking
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

33 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bullring is pretty large, but I wouldn't recommend it as a tourist destination for anyone!
paul
Captain
Captain

18990 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I say, it depends on what the person likes/dislikes. Don't know why but some people - a lot of people - love shopping.
Mark Pickering
Flight Steward
Flight Steward

82 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Paul, you are the font of all UK travel knowledge! Smile
TessSullivan
Baggage Handler
Baggage Handler

8 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jewellery Quarter is a great hidden gem (!) in Birmingham. You can explore Europe's largest school of jewellery and design your own eternity ring/necklace etc

Also worth a visit is the Ikon Gallery for contemporary art. Free admission.

Cadbury World is a must for chocaholics and families.

Thinktank is Birmingham's science museum and has a new planetarium.
PippinTheChicken
Baggage Handler
Baggage Handler

11 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ole brum - used to go there shopping once a month as a teenager but it has changed a lot since then. I've only been a few times last 25 years ( not very good at cities ) but my Dad is a big fan. He would recommend the museum and art gallery and the RBSA Gallery ( of which he is a member ).

The canals have always been very important part of birmingham history so that area would be worth exploring.

One of the great advantages of Birmingham is all the rail links out to other parts of the Midlands such as Shrewsbury, Stratford Upon Avon.

Paul mentioned Dudley zoo. If you're interested in history the Black Country Living Museum in Dudley is well worth a visit.
Mark Pickering
Flight Steward
Flight Steward

82 ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How uneducated do I look now!? All these great places and all I visited was a strip club! Too funny! Very Happy
rogerfa
Trainee Baggage Handler
Trainee Baggage Handler

3 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Birmingham is not really a holiday destination Reply with quote

Why on earth would you want to go to Birmingham as a tourist. Yes it is either the 2nd or 3rd biggest city in England however, it really is not that much of a hot tourist attraction. Most of the travellers who go there are on business, as one would expect.

If I were you I would stick to the cities with a better reputation for fun. Bath is a great little place, as is York. Small towns with a lot of history to offer.

Manchester and Edinburgh also offer a lot. They have cultures that are very unique. MAnc, with its reputation as a young persons holiday dream. Lots to do and see round the music, pub and club scenes. Edinburgh as the capital of Scotland has a bounty of pleasant attractions on offer.

Birmingham, well .. there is the .. umm .. Bullring? Ah no that got regenerated into something new didnt it. There is of course the famous .. umm ... nope sorry .. nothing famous. Sorry.
RossH
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

27 ants

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to visit Birmingham soon, don't be so snobbish! I have friends there and they love that part of the UK.

Would be grateful if anyone can recommend any decent Birmingham accommodation? Not too bothered whether it's a hotel, B&B or whatever - just as long as its clean and not too expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> Europe - Western Europe Travel Forum - UK & Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum