AardvarkTravel.net Travel Search Engine & Travel Directory

By participating in these forums you can earn free advertising! Click here for details.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kensington Hot Spots

Sponsored by:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> Europe - Western Europe Travel Forum - UK & Ireland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wes Davidson
Chief Steward
Chief Steward

232 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Kensington Hot Spots Reply with quote

I'm going to London in May and I am staying in Kensington. What are the good spots for dining in the mid price range. And what are the good live music venues? I like all food and music, just looking for quality.

http://zwickerhillphotography.com
laz
Senior Pilot
Senior Pilot

2054 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few questions.... and a few suggestions....

What do you consider mid-price range? Eating out in London can be very expensive or (reasonably) cheap, and somewhere in the middle tends to be on the expensive side! (If that makes any sense). You'll do well to have dinner with a couple of drinks in a mid-range restaurant in London for under 30--a-head, although if you look hard enough you can eat in a proper restaurant for about 20-a-head (although typically these are one of the many ethnic cuisines available). But mostly, for really good food you're looking at 40-50 (ignoring some of the ridiculously priced places that serve fabulous food but require a re-mortgage to go to...)

Where in Kensington are you planning to stay? This makes a difference to recommendations, as the Hyde Park end of South Kensington is just a short hop from Soho and the West End, while Kensington High Street is more suited for Notting Hill, and West Kensington is further out still. On the other hand, if you're willing to explore a bit on the Tube, nowhere is really out of reach.... Rolling Eyes Laughing

Some good places in the Kensiington area in the 30-50 range are:

- Whits - off Kensington High Street. Modern Fusion/British style
- Kitchen W8: just off Kensington High Street and down the same street as Whits - gets good reviews, but I have not been to there yet as it's quite new! Also Modern British
- Clarke's: near Notting Hill gate Tube. Another serving eclectic British
- Zaika - fantastic (but quite expensive) modern-style Indian
- Karma - cheaper Indian option near Olympia (I remember it being hard to find...)

A couple of cheaper otions:
- Addies Thai Cafe: incredible (and cheap!) Thai cafe...near to Earl's Court (one of my favourites!)
- Leong's Legends: Taiwanese and dim sum (have only been to the Chinatown branch, but believe there is another in Notting Hill)

Hope this helps.... Smile
Wes Davidson
Chief Steward
Chief Steward

232 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're staying at the K West Hotel, which is in West Kensington. 30-50 is in the realm of possibility. I don't drink, so that cuts out a major expense. Any recommendations for dancing?

laz
Senior Pilot
Senior Pilot

2054 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes Davidson wrote:
I don't drink, ..... Any recommendations for dancing?

Sorry, I drink but don't dance (well, not any more, although the two used to be close companions....!)

Oh, and back to restaurants:

If you can be bothered to take the Tube a few stops, and you like Chinese food, there are some decent restaurants in China Town - just round the corner from Leicester Square.

Most are pretty awful tourist traps, but some of the better ones are Ba Shan (Hunan food - very spicy - ate there earlier this week and really fabulous), Empress of Sichuan (Sichuanese), Hao Zhan (modern Chinese, slightly different), Golden Dragon (good dim sum), Wong Kei (famous for rude service, but very good bargain and decent food).
Wes Davidson
Chief Steward
Chief Steward

232 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Chinese. One of my favorite dining experiences was in Seattle's Chinatown at one of the massive dim sum halls. We had a Chinese speaking guide though, which made it that much better.

Wes Davidson
Chief Steward
Chief Steward

232 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just returned from my trip. Ate some great food in Chinatown and Brick Lane. As far as dancing I went to the Notting Hill Arts Club for their Thursday night YoYo event. Pretty awesome, straight hip-hop and jam packed. Efficient bar staff, so there was barely a wait for drinks. Very interesting mix of people.

karamba
Trainee Steward
Trainee Steward

26 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes Davidson wrote:
Any recommendations for dancing?

Start drinking Smile)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkTravel.net Forum Index -> Europe - Western Europe Travel Forum - UK & Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum